More than 3,500 religious leaders from more than 50 religious traditions have endorsed the Religious Declaration on Sexual Morality, Justice, and Healing, including clergy; professional religious educators and counselors; denominational and interfaith leaders; and seminary presidents, deans and faculty members.
We accept endorsements from ordained clergy, professional religious educators, theologians, and staff of religious institutions. If you do not fit into one of these categories, but would like to keep up on the work of the Religious Institute, click here to see how you can get involved.
Religious Declaration on Sexual Morality, Justice, and Healing
Sexuality is God’s life-giving and life-fulfilling gift. We come from diverse religious communities to recognize sexuality as central to our humanity and as integral to our spirituality. We are speaking out against the pain, brokenness, oppression and loss of meaning that many experience about their sexuality.
Faith communities must therefore be truth-seeking, courageous and just. We call for:
- Theological reflection that integrates the wisdom of excluded, often silenced peoples, and insights about sexuality from medicine, social science, the arts and humanities.
- Full inclusion of women and LGBT persons in congregational life, including their ordination and marriage equality.
- Sexuality counseling and education throughout the lifespan from trained religious leaders.
- Support for those who challenge sexual oppression and who work for justice within their congregations and denominations.
- Lifelong, age-appropriate sexuality education in schools, seminaries and community settings.
- A faith-based commitment to sexual and reproductive rights, including access to voluntary contraception, abortion, and HIV/STI prevention and treatment.
- Religious leadership in movements to end sexual and social injustice.